Saturday, October 13, 2007

Whew...Trip to Lubbock, Win for Tech, Loss for Fran

Texas A&M - 7 Texas Tech - 35


8 hours in the car, 3 1/2 hours for the game, all in the same day. I'm exhausted. The family originally planned to stay in Salado just outside of Lubbock for the game tonight but decided we'd head in tonight to be able to sleep in Sunday.

Onto the game:

Watched the game in the box of one my father's friends that is a big wig in the Texas Tech academic system. All I can say is nice. Shaking hands and introducing myself to Governor Rick Perry wasn't bad either even though I'm not particularly on his bandwagon.


As I expected, Tech beat the Aggies in front of a large home crowd. Also expected, the number of good looking girls on Tech's campus.

To the unexpected. I was quite surprised to see Tech win by a 28 point margin, especially after A&M's first drive touchdown. After that drive, the A&M offense became anemic, taking chances on pass plays when it seemed their running game could not be stopped. To Tech's credit, they began stopping A&M 3rd down plays. From then I knew that this one was over.

A&M and Tech are now tied in the Big 12 standings, but it is evident that A&M is a much weaker team, perhaps not talent wise but coaching wise. I think this is the last nail in the coffin for Dennis Franchione's coaching tenure at A&M. I am grateful to Tech players and fans for that. Originally I gave Fran a 3 year window, which has now become 5 years. These are his players, he recruits well, but has clearly lost the edge he had at TCU. He is transparent, it is apparent.

And, for those that don't know, my mother was a baton-twirler for the Red Raiders in college. Upon entering Jones AT&T Stadium today, she is pictured in a mosaic near the escalators.


Looking good Mom.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home