Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Sigur Ros - Last Night at Bass Hall

So this last Saturday I decided I would make somewhat of a impulse buy and grab a ticket to Sigur Ros, an Icelandic 'rock' band playing at Bass Hall. For those unfamiliar with their music, I dub it a Radiohead, Coldplay, Enya-ish hybrid...it's quite hard to label their genre until you've heard it. Lots of swells, tension and crescendos.

The first CD I bought of theirs happens to be the latest...their 2005 release 'Takk', which in English means thanks. One thing I wondered before I went was how they could pull off the cd sound live...and for the most part they did.

The show was the last of their American dates so I thought the lead vocal might suffer. Nope, I was wrong. I thought it sounded great. Being a musician I could tell it was influenced by reverb tails and like effects but every act 'cheats' a little. This lead singer would have to have 'opera-like' sustain to pull this off without any help.

The only beef (and a small one at that) I have with their music (not necessarily their performance last night) is that some songs tend to drag on a little too long for their own good. Of course this is just one listeners opinion; if I was trying to fall asleep listening to it I might not mind it...all depends on the circumstance.

All in all I really enjoyed the show. There were moments in there where my legs were literally shaking...wait...that could have been because it was so cold in there.

Star-Telegram's review here

1 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Jake said...

Wow...although I do like the chair reach around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home