Sunday, December 09, 2007

To Your Potential

To your potential...what does that mean exactly? Does every child have the potential to be President of the United States, an astronaut or a professional athlete? No, so it's all relative, right?

I happened to grow up privileged by most standards. White, male and was raised with parents that stayed together until I graduated from college. Have I lived up to my potential thus far? Some days I think I have, others not, but for the most part I try not to be so reflective. I think looking back can cause you to lose confidence, in other cases, it can be used to stroke your ego or blame your shortcomings on others.


This potential thing had me thinking to music. Do you consider The Smashing Pumpkins reunion a reunion? 2 out of the 4 founding members left, are they touring for $$$? Lynard Skynard? How many surviving members do they have left, do they get tired of playing 'Freebird'? Pearl Jam. What have they done since 'Vitalogy'? They still release albums?


What if these bands stayed together, avoided plane tragedy or didn't go after Ticketmaster and retool their lineup? Did they all live up to their potential? I don't think anyone can make that call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home