Friday, April 04, 2008

Your 2008 Texas Rangers

Analysis time, shortly after the Rangers completed their first series finishing 1-2 against the Seattle Mariners.

I don't think I have to explain the malady of being a Rangers fan but every year I cross my fingers and hope for the best, just to see my team end up as AL West cellar dwellers.

Let's break it down from last year:

Key additions:
1) Josh Hamilton (CF) - Hamilton completely ripped up the pre-season stretch, batting around .600. As you probably know, he's battling drug addiction and sans relapse, he should be a major contributor with outstanding defensive range at The Ballpark. Stud athlete, gray past.

2) Milton Bradley (DH/RF) - Everyone in the league knows that this guy is a serious baller with a good bat. Barring significant injury and/or personality conflicts with head coach Ron Washington, good things will happen. Apparent headcase.

Key losses:
1) Akinori Otsuka (P) - Otsuka was a pretty solid contributor last year when Eric Gagne left the Rangers. Awkward delivery was one of Otsuka's best assets as a closer. Will C.J. Wilson thrive as the closer this year?

Prediction Man:

Like many of the pundits out there, I see the 2008 Rangers staying on the path of 'rebuilding mode' until the 2009-2010 season. I do not believe they have all the necessary parts (can you say bringing in a no-questions-asked #1 starting pitcher?) to seriously contend this year. I anticipate better things from Kevin Millwood, Vicente Padilla and Gerald Laird (how much worse can it get from 2007 for Laird?) than last year but I think this team will lose many close late-inning games (due to either lack of clutch hitting and/or late reliever troubles). Lack of quality starts will continue to plague this team and will be largely noticable when #3 to #5 starters hit the mound.

Overall though, I don't have a problem with the way the Rangers conducted themselves in the free agent market this offseason. Apparently they stuck out on an aging Torii Hunter which, if Josh Hamilton pans out, will be a moot point and significant revenue will have been saved. I guess I'll save next season for 2009 (Hicks better be in the free agent playpen if there's a solid #1 starter though).

Texas Rangers 2008 finish: 75-87 (3rd in AL West)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home