Friday, January 25, 2008

My Profound Thoughts on MySpace

A few months ago I decided I try the mega-popular web-based friend interactive platform, MySpace. Generally it's really easy to operate and edit around in, probably a huge reason why it is so popular with the young 'ens. So far I have about 20 'friends' in my network but I'm a loser so consider me lucky. The whole MySpace thing raises questions in my mind, most if not all of which have been discussed somewhere else before.

First, is it a good idea to post personal information about yourself on the internet? Sure, I leave some personal info here but other than the contributors on this site you all probably know next to nothing about me other than my first name, which isn't very unique (dammit, why couldn't my parents have named me Apple! Sorry, saw Coldplay on Austin City Limits last night, my dream gig). Think of it from the perspective of an employer. You do know that some employers will Google your name and/or check MySpace and Facebook, don't you? I realize that you can keep your information private unless you approve your 'friend' to view it but for the most part people are lazy and won't take the time (mental note: only make your profile visible to friends).

Second, what is the appropriate age to bid a farewell to MySpace/Facebook? I'm 29 and approaching 30 and I feel that I'm just too damn old to be there anymore. Will I cancel my account? Somebody convince me.

All in all it's a pretty neat little tool for contacting ones that you haven't seen in awhile but I prefer this blog, leaving my thoughts here for you to criticize and make fun of.

(By the way, that pic ain't me, he's way better looking)

2 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger BACM said...

I've often debated this as well. On one hand we are almost 30 and it could be construed as gay and hopeless, however I don't live close to my friends anymore and this provides a way to stay in touch with the majority of them.

That being said I have gotten laid numerous times using the Myspace network out here in the desert.

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Aim said...

I often wonder if I am too old for myspace. Here's my take: I have been re-connected to people I otherwise probably never would have seen/talked to again, some family members of mine are myspacers (good way to share pics, etc.), and it's really just a personal webpage, right? I can't really come up with any negatives. After all...if someone friend requests you that you don't care to be reaquainted with...turn em down.

I say there's no harm in it no matter your age. Happy Friday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home